Saturday, October 18, 2008

Streetwear Grading System: Double Down NYC

S a t u r d a y , O c t o b e r 1 8 , 2 0 0 8
I don't know a whole lot about Double Down NYC (apparently Google doesn't know much either, or at least they're not telling anyone), but I can tell you two things about them: They make overpriced glasses and one damn good polo.

Actually, I can tell you a little bit more (like what they told me). I can tell you that they're "one of the original NY streetwear brands" (who Google hasn't heard much about...) and that they're "releasing a new collection this coming spring that brings back a lot of nostalgia for early 80's New York City."
'Eighty Fours Series Frames'

Ok, it's not that bad if that's what you're into. It's a bubble gum packaged direct rip of vintage sunglasses. They're $180 bucks, so it's pretty up there for what it is, but at least you get a feel for what the company's about -- 80's nostalgia! Having fun and 80's nostalgia...

Lack of creativity:9
Gaudiness: 9
Cost effectiveness: 9
Reappropriation: 9
Overall streetwear scale grade: 9/10

'Jumbo Polo'

I like 80's nostalgia (full disclosure: I don't) and I don't like crack, so with that being said... What better way to voice my displeasure than by WEARING A POLO WITH A VIAL OF CRACK ON IT? And what accents crack cocaine better then gold satin taping on the hem, I ask? Nothing!

Lack of creativity: 6
Gaudiness: 10
Cost Effectiveness: 9
Reappropriation: 8
Overall streetwear scale grade: 8.25/10
--Ira


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since when is Russ a polo model?

Anonymous said...

I believe that's the Grouch from Living Legends sir.

Anonymous said...

overpriced sunglasses are overrated. you can find some cheap vintage sunglasses online.