Thursday, May 1, 2008

Deshawn Stevenson and the tale of how he breathed life into the NBA

I know, I know there's been a lot of basketblogging lately, but it's the playoffs, so expect even more to come. Coincidentlly there's been even more reported, blogged, and diss-tracked about the Wizards mercurial shooting guard over the past few days and I, for one, can't get enough of it.
Deshawn Stevenson is one of the best things to happen to the NBA this year. And yeah, he happened. Every time you can't see him, every post-playoff 80's party, every attempt at courting Lindsay Lohan via myspace, every slashing of the roc and every Soulja Boy backing, he's happened.















He's become a lightning rod for criticism and that's exactly what makes this series watchable. With Lebron James as the NBA-mandated hero the Invisible Man is his villian. In every sense of the word he is, as another blog put it, the classic wrestling heel.
Maybe it's just me. I never liked Jordan. Didn't hate him, but I can't recall one instance where I cheered him on. I loved Reggie, though. The Malone and Stockton Jazz? Oh yeah. The Spurs? You already know the titles going back to the Riverwalk. I'm pretty sure even if I wasn't from Portland, I'd still love the Jail Blazer-era teams. Maybe that's why I can't get enough of Deshawn.




















Reggie once said that anyone can talk shit when they're winning, but it takes a true shit talker to stay in their ear when you're down by twenty. That's precisely why you should cheer for Deshawn. The Wizards have been almost done for awhile now and he keeps on going. Not always escalating things, but never relenting, either.
Gilbert will probably opt out this summer and then D.C. will have to retool. This rivalry might be getting close to the end, so give the Invisible Man his due.















--Ira

THIS JUST IN: WHITE WOMEN HATE DESHAWN
, perhaps they didn't hear about the 80's party?

Source: D.C sports Bog
(yes bog, not blog)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

But i like white women, does that mean I hate Deshawn?
- Black Ian

Anonymous said...

Ira . . .
you only root for the underdogs because you have always been one . . .

I root for the king because I have always . . .

You know the rest.

White Cam