Tuesday, June 10, 2008

BMW GINA Light Visionary

This car has officially blown my mind. Just thinking about the creative work that went into this and the fun the design team must have had gets me inspired big time. As a designer myself, I really appreciate completely new takes on conventional things. And this, my friends, is a completely new take.
"What is so special?" you ask. The car is not covered in any form of metal. Sure, it looks like it is solid, but the mass you are seeing is a "skin." It is stretchable and flexible allowing the car to change shape. The rear fin raises out of the back like it is growing as you reach a certain speed. The beltline and "shoulder" can be adjusted as well. This morphing is possible because underneath the skin is a hinged frame controlled by elecro-hydraulic devices. The taillights are under the skin and shine through, but the headlight open and close like human eyes. It is kind of creepy in the video. The way the doors "flex" out of the side panels is amazing.
I really don't know what else to say about this car right now. It really has me excited about what changes this could lead to.














































-jt

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, this car is amazing and is completely rethinking the idea of what a car is and made of. This is quite impressive!!!

Good Find!!!

Anonymous said...

Now you just have to make a shoe with a cloth exterior instead of metal. I dare you!

Cam

Anonymous said...

Headlights make this car.